To get an activity to cross a swimlane boundary, use the Ctrl (Control) key, as follows:
- Select the shape (click on it).
- Press and HOLD the Ctrl key.
- Place your cursor over a dark square at the bottom (or top) of the selected shape. The cursor changes to a rectangular shape with a line through it.
- Press and HOLD the (left) mouse button.
- Drag (move) the mouse until the shape crosses a swimlane boundary.
- RELEASE the MOUSE button FIRST, then release the Ctrl key.
Once you have caused a shape to cross swimlane boundaries or borders, you can now cause it to cross more borders without having to use the Ctrl key; using the Ctrl key with the steps above will also work.